Saturday 8 February 2014

Holes on my arms

Every time I go for a blood test and the blood draw is unsuccessful, I always feel like I've lost a year off my life.. T________T

Doctor managed to find a nice fat vein on my right arm though he commented that it might slide around, making it hard for the syringe to enter. That was exactly what happened omg. I'm not faint when I see blood, though needles started to scare me a little after I pricked myself with one during one of my experiments last year.... I've had a very very bad experience drawing blood a few years ago and since then I've learnt a few more tricks to ensure a higher rate of drawing blood--- drink lots of water before going for it, point your fist down and rapidly clench and unclench the fist to make the veins pop.

Still, I felt my heart sink lower and lower as the doctor poked and poked around under the skin, he did it for a full minute and I was clenching my fist really tightly, and holding my breath as well cos he said to not move LOL. Didn't need to be so tensed, I was just scared I think. My muscles were starting to ache after the prolonged period of fist clenching and even after I got his approval to relax my arm, I could feel my head spinning X_______X I just knew it, that I was going to experience the loss of vision and ringing ears again -cries-

I politely gave indications that he should stop by going 'hmmmm' and 'aiyo..' so he took out the needle and loosened the arm band thingy. Slowly but surely my ears started ringing and vision was hazy. I can't quite remember what exactly happened but I was just sitting there with my head hanging down and trying to shake off the discomfort while he went to fetch another needle. He even patted me on the head LOL!! It didn't strike me as strange then but on hindsight I thought it was a very quirky but affectionate thing to do. Still,  sir I'm 23 years old and graduating in June this year please XD

He knew that I was feeling really bad and kept saying 'sorry, so sorry' as he felt for the vein and inserted the needle. At that point I didn't care anymore OTL I was feeling nauseous and looking for a dustbin in case I couldn't hold back my puke. Fortunately the blood started to flow hahaha I didn't even bother looking and just said 'that's great!' with as much enthusiasm as I could muster but I think it was around the level of a flopping half dead fish.

Again, can't remember what happened but I was really breaking out in cold sweat and so clammy that the plasters refused to stick to my skin. I just took them off but doc gave me a few to keep in my bag. He also asked multiple times if I wanted to lie down.. Tempting but I said no because if I moved from where I was sitting I might vomit lolol I must have sounded really pathetic when I said 'If you don't mind I'll just sit here for a while' at least twice because I was afraid  that I was disturbing him :(

Anyways the nausea passed after a while and I left the clinic and went back to lab.. sigh. Well it was memorable... the doctor patted me on the head :3

No comments:

Post a Comment