Wednesday 21 May 2014

ACM 2014

It was raining so heavily on the day of the event. BUT nothing's going to stop me from cosing since I was already feeling better and had been working so hard to complete the costume and props. 

Seriously though, I guess I can blame it on being sick but I hope to never rush a costume right till the day of event itself 

I discovered this very useful item called the iron on adhesive which was my favourite item in the world while I was making the skirt. I had sewn the skirt using at my friend's house a week ago (my first time sewing) and I had realised that it was not wide enough to reach both sides of my thighs but chose to ignore the problem and threw it aside. 

Alas while trying to finalise the skirt, the problem came back to haunt me because it just would not do! I tried all sorts of methods without resorting to velcro to stick fabric onto the side to widen it-- double sided tape, white glue, tears.. Which all worked quite well lololol except for tears duh. But this iron on adhesive was still the best.. I was determined to get it after using it at my friend's house. Found it at art friend at a reasonable price yay!! That last minute shopping trip also saved my ass because I picked up light brown paint and the beautiful reflective cloth which is also part of the skirt. Even got a pair of $10 shorts which shorter and better for the costume than my previous pair. 

Anyways here's the final skirt-- stuck on 3 pleats
I'm so so so glad it turned out alright. So relieved *___*


My favourite part of the costume is this small pouch at the side.. I initially wanted to buy a pouch but couldn't find an accurate one online/ daiso /the neighbourhood shops. Resorted to make one myself using painted foam sheets and jumping clay for the details. I kept my cough sweets and tissue paper inside which turned out to be life savers during the event *__*

So yea back to actual event day, I was stupid and wore a thin button up top and shorts. My nose was already blocked when i left the house because of the cold. Continued being blocked for most part of the event and though it wasn't runny, I couldn't breathe properly.. Had to reapply my foundation each time I blew my nose -_- 

The costume itself wasn't helpful either since the stomach was exposed. I just walked around with my hands covering my tummy until someone asked for a photo LOL my cosfriends aren't forgiving at all--- they would just suddenly attack and touch my stomach T__T hard to guard against these attacks tsk tsk. My character is Yang from RWBY and is supposed to have ample boobs but I don't have any, sadly. Will try to do better for the photoshoot this sunday XD 

You have no idea how much I screamed when I saw yx as danchou. Despite my blocked nose and the risk of inducing a coughing fit, I was squealing and screaming away LOL turned a few heads but I don't care. It looks like i'm punching myself here but nope i'm just fangirling.

Anyways to sum up, my first event of the year went relatively well!! I've forgotten how hot and crowded it can be during events. And how tiring it is when the photogs come one after another. But yea it's a really nice feeling to meet up with friends and go for dinner together after dressing down. 

I've also learnt many things from making this costume, including fabric painting, sewing (a little) and mainly more insights into dealing with cloth. The prop was alright, no new challenges though I exercised my resourcefulness when looking for materialas haha. It feels strange to not hold anything because the weapon is already part of your arms XD

Meeting YYYYYs tomorrow, helping out for nus shoot on saturday and photoshoot on sunday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment